This is a quick tutorial on using FileZilla.
Computer / Software You Will Need:
- A PC running Microsoft Windows, Linux, or Mac OS X 10.5 or newer.
- The free FTP software, which you can download by clicking FileZilla.
Individual Server Settings:
- Username - This is your username to access your account on our server.
- Password - This is the password assigned to you by the system admin or the owner of the hosting account.
After you have downloaded and installed FileZilla, double click the icon to launch the program. The first thing you will see will look like the following screen shot:
1. Click on File then select Site Manager.
2. You will see the "Site Manager" window pop up (pictured below). Click on "New Site"
3. You will want to change the values (marked in red letters) as indicated below: (Everything else should be left as default)
(a) Type in the New FTP Site Name: (Can use any name like "My website ")
(b) Host: Type in the host address: (Your FTP address like ftp.domain.com)
(c) Logontype: Select Normal
(d) User: This is your username. If you do not have this information, you can login to cPanel and view it on the left hand side. (It is based on the first 8 characters of your domain). If someone gave you a username to use in the format of firstname.lastname@example.org, please enter that.
Password: This is your cPanel password or the password that you were given by the owner of the hosting account.
(e) When the above steps are complete, click 'Connect' to connect to the server. (You will automatically be connected in your own folder).
- The very top window (highlighted green) shows your connection status.
- The Local Site windows (highlighted red) shows the directories (top red window) and files (bottom red window) on your computer.
- The Remote Site window (highlighted blue) shows the server, where you can upload your files.
- The bottom window (highlighted purple) shows the status of the files as they are uploaded or downloaded
How to Upload a File
- Locate the file you wish to upload by first clicking on the directory it is in (top red window), then by finding it in the list of file names (bottom red window).
- Select the file by clicking on it with the left mouse button.
- Hold down the left mouse button and drag the file over to the Remote Site (blue window), then release.
- You can also right click and select Upload if you prefer.
How to Download a File
- To download a file, follow the same procedure above in "How to Upload a File", only select files from the Remote Site (blue window) and drag them to the Local Site (red window).
- You can also right click and select Download if you prefer.
Due to our firewall, some people experience problems with FTP. To fix this problem, try:
- Click on Edit
- Select Settings
- Click on Passive Mode, which is found underneath Connection in the left hand window (see diagram below). In the Passive mode settings window (right side), click the Use the server's external IP address instead if it is currently not marked. If you connect to our server and get disconnected quickly, this is the solution.